Episode #11 Fricassee
- Large deep skillet w/ tight-fitting cover
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 2 or 3 whole all spice (optional)
- A bay leave (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder or 1 crushed garlic clove
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tbl. chopped onion
- 2 tbl. water
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- Dash of pepper
- 1 small can of sliced mushrooms or 5 fresh sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Cut each chicken breast into 1/8’s
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Add onions to skillet.
- Cook onions until soft and light colored on medium high burner.
- Add cut up chicken breasts to onions in skillet and brown chicken slightly.
- Stir in 2 tbs. of flour in skillet.
- Add boiling water, garlic, paprika, and optional bay leave and/or all spice to mixture.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 min.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion, water, garlic, and pepper together.
- Form small meat balls.
- Carefully add the meatballs to the skillet moving the chicken pieces around to make room.
- OPTIONAL add mushrooms to skillet.
- Put the cover on the skillet and cook for an additional 20 – 25 minutes over low heat burner and stir.
- Check to make sure there is enough liquid as you would like. Add boiling water if necessary.
Note: Fricassee can be served immediately over rice or noodles. This meal can easily be reheated or frozen.
Fill small puff pastrie rounds for appetizers.