Episode #14 Meat Tzimis
- Dutch Oven
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. beef for stew cut in chunks
- 1 small onion
- 1 lb. carrot
- 1 medium size sweet potato
- 1 tbs. vegetable oil
- 6 dried apricots
- 6 dried prunes
- 1 tbs. golden raisins (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground all spice
- pinch of pepper
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 slices lemon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbs. corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- Dice onion.
- Peel carrots and cut in about 3/4 inch cubes.
- Peel and cut sweet potato into chunks.
- In Dutch Oven over medium heat add vegetable oil.
- Add meat and diced onions and saute until most of the meat loses its color.
- Add 2 cups water to cover meat.
- Put cover on, bring to a boil, and cook on low heat for 1 hour.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes, dried apricots, dried prunes and raisins.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook on (simmer) low heat for 1/2 hour.
- Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, all spice, honey, orange juice, and lemon slices.
- Stir and bring back to boil.
- Cook on (simmer) low heat with cover on for 1 1/2 hours.
- Taste, add more honey or lemon juice as needed.
- Should be similar to a sweet and sour taste as you prefer.
- Mix 1/4 cup water with corn starch to creamy consistency and stir into pot.
- Put cover on.
- Let simmer 10 – 15 minutes more to thicken.
- If needed add a little more hot boiled water to make sauce like gravy consistency.
Makes 4 to 6 servings. Will stay in refrigerator several days.
NOTE: Do not freeze! As it will become mushy.
Tastes even better the next day, because all the flavors blended together.