Episode #15 Kasha Varnishkes
- Frying Pan
- Pot for Pasta
- Pot with Cover that can be used in the oven.
- Large Bowl
- 1 cup medium KASHA (buckwheat groats, can be found in kosher section of supermarket)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 four ounce can sliced mushrooms or 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms (any variety)
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup bowtie pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- Beat egg slightly.
- Dice onions.
- Boil 2 cups of water in small saucepan.
- Place bullion cube in that boiling water and stir till dissolved.
- Put oil into a heated frying pan and saute mushrooms and diced onions.
- Boil water in your pasta pot and cook bowties according to box directions.
- Set oven to 250 to 300 degrees.
- Place KASHA in pot that has a cover meant for oven.
- Stir in egg well to cover the KASHA.
- Place KASHA pot in oven without the cover for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Take out and stir and make sure your KASHA is dry and slightly expanded.
- Mix in the onions and mushrooms into the KASHA.
- Add liquid bullion to KASHA and stir.
- Put cover back on pot and place in oven for thirty minutes.
- When done place KASHA in large bowl and stir in bowties.
NOTE: Optional serve with gravy if you like.
Can be served as a side dish with pot roast or other meat or chicken.