Episode #24 Chicken Chopped Liver
- Broiler Pan with wire rack
- Aluminum Foil to cover broiler pan
- Large Spoon
- Small Spatula
- Food Processor or Food Chopper
- Frying Pan
- Small Sauce Pan with cover to cook eggs for hard boiled eggs
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 lb. chicken livers
Hard Boiled Eggs Ingredients:
- 2 or 3 eggs (3 if using the egg whites ONLY)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tbls. vegetable oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Liver must be Koshered differently then Kosher meats. The liver can not be in contact with Kosher plates or bowls until completely Koshered to be used in any recipes.
- Rinse in cold water and place on aluminum foil.
- Trim small piece of fat between liver and any spots.
- Sprinkle with salt on all sides lightly
- Arrange aluminum foil on broiler pan.
- Place livers on wire rack.
- Pre-heat broiler 3-4 minutes.
- Liver must be broiled 3-5 minutes on each side and cooked through so that there is no sign of pink, by using a spoon or small spatula to turn it over.
- Cut to check if any pink.
- Remove and discard aluminum foil.
Hard Boiled Eggs Procedure
- Place eggs in small sauce pan and cover most of the eggs with water.
- Bring to a boil on high heat then lower heat to warm.
- Put cover on saucepan.for 20 minutes.
- Remove eggs and place in cold water and let eggs cool.
- Peel off shells.
- Remove egg yolks if only using whites.
- Heat frying pan over medium heat.
- Add vegetable oil and then chopped onions.
- Stir occasionally until onions are tender and lightly brown about 10 minutes.
- Shut burner off.
- Mix chicken livers with onions and let cool.
- Place in processor with pulse on and off.
- Add hard boiled eggs or egg whites.
- Pulse on and off until it creates a coarse chopped consistency giving the chopped liver a homemade taste and texture.
- Empty into a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a few drops of vegetable oil if too dry.
- Mix with a spoon but do not over mix.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Place in refrigerator 2 hours or longer to blend flavors.
- Take out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
NOTE: Serve on rye bread, cracker, or bagel chips.
Can also be served as an appetizer with lettuce leaves, tomato slices, cucumber, and black olives.
Will serve 6 to 8 people as an appetizer.