Episode #24 Mock Chopped Liver
- Measuring Cup and Spoons
- Small Sauce Pan with cover to cook eggs for hard boiled eggs
- 3 quart sauce pan with cover
- Frying pan
- Food Processor or Food Chopper
- Large Spoon
- Large Bowl
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 3 tsp. pareve chicken style powder
Hard Boiled Eggs Ingredients:
- 2 or 3 eggs (3 if using the egg whites ONLY)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbls. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place lentils in strainer and run through with cold water, give a little stir.
- Check to see if there may be a small stone among the lentils and remove.
- In large saucepan pour in 2 cups of water
- Add lentils and bring to a boil.
- Lower burner to low.
- Add chicken style powder.
- Stir and continue on a low boil with cover on for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Check and stir halfway.
- Put cover back on and cook until lentils are soft and all the water is totally absorbed.
If water has evaporated and the lentils are not tender, add a very small amount of water and continue cooking until lentils are done. If there is too much liquid, cook with cover off and cook a few minutes longer until water is gone and lentils are soft and thickened.
Hard Boiled Eggs Procedure
- Place eggs in small sauce pan and cover most of the eggs with water.
- Bring to a boil on high heat then lower heat to warm.
- Put cover on saucepan.for 20 minutes.
- Remove eggs and place in cold water and let eggs cool.
- Peel off shells.
- Remove egg yolks if only using whites.
- Heat frying pan over medium heat.
- Add vegetable oil and then chopped onions.
- Stir occasionally until onions are tender and lightly brown about 10 minutes.
- Shut burner off.
- Place in processor chopped walnuts and process until fine texture.
- Add hard boiled eggs or egg whites and onions, and the lentils.
- Process all together until everything is thoroughly mixed and is a smooth consistency.
- Empty into a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix altogether with spoon.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours.
- Take out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
NOTE: Serve on rye bread, cracker, or bagel chips.
It can also be served as an appetizer with lettuce leaves, tomato slices, cucumber, and black olives.
Will serve 6 to 8 people as an appetizer.