Episode #26 Vegetarian Stew
- 1 large dutch oven or heavy pot with cover
- 1 large spoon for stirring
- Strainer or paper towels
- 1 package extra firm or firm tofu
- 2 full tsp. pareve imitation beef flavor soup mix powder or 3 tsp. vegetable soup mix powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 – 3 medium potatoes equaling 2 cups
- 2 large carrots equaling 2 cups
- 1 parsnip
- 1/2 small turnip equaling 2 cups
- 2 medium onions
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 whole allspice or spice of your choice (example rosemary)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
Tofu Coating Ingredients
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- pinch of pepper
Tofu Coating Procedure
- Open package of tofu and drain water.
- Place tofu in strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Let drain while preparing vegetables.
- Cut tofu about 4 across lengthwise and then about 4 across the width.
- Should be around 1 – 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix in a bowl all tofu coating ingredients and stir.
- Cut potatoes, carrots, parsnip and turnip into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Cut onions into 1/4’s
- Coat tofu pieces in flour mixture.
- Heat pot on medium – medium high heat.
- Add vegetable oil and slowly add coated tofu pieces for about 1 minute and be careful to turn them over with a spoon so that they are not broken up.
- This will seal the mixture coating.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add water and all vegetables to a pot.
- Place tofu on top of vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a low boil or simmer.
- Add soup mix powder.
- Stir slightly.
- Place cover on pot.
- Check after 15 minutes.
- Make sure it is a slow boil simmer.
- Stir lightly again.
- Cook for about 1 hour more or until vegetables checked with a fork are soft and cooked.
NOTE: 5 – 6 servings, Serve with green peas or green beans on top or with a little chopped fresh dill.
Can be prepared ahead of time and reheated.
Refrigerate leftovers, do not freeze.