Episode #30 Eggplant Lasagna
- 9 X 13 baking pan
- bowl for egg mixture
- large frying pan
- Plate for bread crumbs
- colander or large bowl
- aluminum foil
- cutting knife
- potatoe peeler (optional)
- measuring cup
- 1 tbsp.
- 1 large onion
- 1 pepper**
- 24 oz jar of tomatoe – basil pasta sauce
- mushrooms (optional)
- 8 oz packet fresh part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 lbs. egg plant(s) *
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs or matzo meal
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tbls. olive oil or vegtable oil
- Peel and slice eggplant(s) to 1/2 inch slices.
- Slightly sprinkle slices with salt (optional)
- Place eggplant in colander or large bowl so that eggplant can release a little bit of it’s liquid which is bitter for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse eggplant with cold water and press lightly on paper towels or clean dish towel.
- Dip eggplant slices first in egg mixture and then in bread crumbs or matzo meal.
- Place several on plate ready for the frying pan.
- Add 1tbls. oil to heated frying pan.
- Add sliced onions, peppers, (and mushrooms if using) to the frying pan.
- Stir for 5 – 6 minutes and set aside in a bowl.
- Mix egg with water in bowl and beat with fork.
- Line baking pan with aluminum foil (optional)
- Spread a small amount of sauce in baking pan.
- Heat frying pan and add 1 tbs. oil
- Place slices in pan until slightly or lightly set.
- Turn over with spatula on other side.
- This is to set the coating.
- Take the slices out and place in baking pan.
- Continue with eggplant slices and add oil each time to lightly fry.
- Place first layer in baking pan.
- Cover with 1/2 the onion, peper, mushroom mixture.
- Add the rest of the eggplant slices.
- Put the rest of the onion, pepper, mushroom mixture on top.
- Pour spagetti sauce over all.
- Slice mazorella cheese and layer over the sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Pre-heat oven 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes.
- Take out of oven and remove aluminum foil carefully and then place back in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes so that all the flavors blend together.
Makes 5 to 6 servings
*NOTE: 1 medium about 1 1/2 pounds and 1 small eggplant about 3/4 lbs will equal approximatly 2lbs. I like smaller egg plants rather then 1 large eggplant.
**NOTE: Various colored pepers can be used to make the dish more attractive.
Preperation can be done ahead of time refrigerated and baked later in the day.
Recipe can be cut in 1/2.