Episode #31 Roast Chicken
- Small Roasting Pan
- Small Spatula
- Large Bowl
- Tea kettle or pot to boil water
- 1 whole roasting chicken (3 to 4 lbs.)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dry rosemary (optional)
- 3 or 4 whole allspice
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove outer plastic wrapper of chicken and place in bowl.
- Remove giblets from cavity of chicken.
- Remove fat from inside of lower part of chicken.
- Rinse chicken with cold water.
- Boil water in a pot or kettle and pour over chicken.
- Drain hot water out of bowl carefully.
- Check and remove pin feathers around wings and near lower cavity, also around drumsticks, and back tail is clean or cut off.
- Place in roasting pan and sprinkle all over breast top of chicken with spices with no need to measure.
- Place 1 or 2 of the whole all spice under skin where possible.
- Lift chicken and turn breast over side down.
- Sprinkle rest of spices over all and a little garlic powder and 1 whole allspice in cavity.
- Place in pre-heated oven about 20 minutes per 1b aproximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Check with point of knife or fork and pierce slightly in thickest part of thigh to make sure juices run clear not pink.
- Leave in another 10 to 15 minutes if in doubt.
- Take out of oven.
- Let rest 10 to 15 minutes with spatula and spoon gently lift chicken and turn over onto serving plate.
Makes 4 to 5 servings
NOTE: Chicken may not be as browned but by roasting chicken breast side down juices will flow into the breast and not make it dry.