Episode #16 BONUS – Blintzes (Blueberry)
- 8 inch frying pan
- clean dish towel
- 2 mixing bowls
- Wax paper (preferred) or aluminum foil or small pastry brush.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 tbs. margarine or
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cups blueberries
- 3 tbs. sugar
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Sift the flour.
- Beat eggs slightly in bowl.
- Add flour to eggs alternately with water, stirring until a smooth very thin batter is formed.
- Put the frying pan on medium heat, and heat until hot enough for the batter to adhere to the pan but not hot enough to make batter bubble.
- Grease pan slightly on bottom and side with small piece of wax paper which has been dipped in margarine.
- Remove frying pan from heat and pour 3 tbs. of batter into frying pan.
- Tip pan in all directions so that batter forms a thin layer on the bottom.
- Cook on one side only until pancake gets slightly dry around the pan and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Shake the pancake onto a clean towel, hitting pan against table top to loosen.
- Let cool.
- The pancake should be paper thin.
- Mix all filling ingredients together.
- Place rounded tbs. of filling in center of each pancake.
- Fold sides to center covering filling and forming squares.
- Melt 2 tbl. margarine or vegetable oil.
- Frying pan should still be on medium heat.
- When hot, place blintzes fold-side down, and fry until golden-brown on each side.
- It may be necessary to add more oil or margarine as you keep frying other blintzes.
NOTE: Serve hot with sour cream sugar and cinnamon or pineapple or cherry preserves.